Wednesday, July 05, 2006

about.com, phase 2

So, I got accepted into phase two (the Prep phase) of the about.com python Guide selection process. That's really exciting for me. My Prep period starts 7/14/06, running through the end of the month. In that time I'll create a sample Guide site, etc.

I find the whole thing interesting. I've been writing python code for about 2 years now, and have spent my last year-and-a-bit back and forth with Zope3. I love it and I hate it, I think it's one of the best pieces of software I've ever seen while simultaneously feeling like it's sometimes complicated for the sake of being complicated.

Still, after spending a few months with RoR, every time I come back to writing python code, it's rejuvenating. There's nothing wrong with Ruby, and I appreciate some of the language features... but I feel like I'm playing a little too fast and loose in Ruby, the same way I feel in Perl. In both Ruby and Perl, the question is rarely *can* I do it (both languages either can, or can be tricked, into doing most anything), but *what is the right way* to do it? But those aren't complaints so much as personal taste issues. Python just makes more sense to me.

A largely undirected ramble, but still. About.com. How cool is that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home